Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 12 - Ormond Beach, Florida

Woke up early this morning! It was bad as i wasnt flying untill 16:30, so i had breakfast and sat outside in the sunshine. It was 22Degrees at 9am here. I went over my procedures and nav methods. I went and had another look at the airshow today. Parking was chaos, i had to spend 10$ for parking.  I arrived at the flight school around 3.30.

I planned a navigation to Hudson. It went pretty well, everything is much quicker in the arrow when your doing 120kts. My waypoints were 3 minutes apart, so i was busy.

I arrived around 3nm left of track, so i dont think the were correct as i held my heading almost exact.

From there i was given a diversion to Pierson. Diversion went great, arrived on time. i was given an engine failure not too far from pierson and john said to make a touch and go there. We got down pretty close but they were setting up gliders so we just did a go around. We would of made it.

On the go around, i was given an Engine Failure after takeoff, and at 1000ft, you dont have much time to get yourself organised, Your dropping at 1200fpm so youve got less than 1minute to complete a shutdown check.

I went back to ormond, and we had to complete 3 landing types.

Flapless; went ok, just add 5 kts onto your normal speeds

Short Field - was great, basically flying the arrow at 65kts it was more less all power, the second i let the power out it sunk onto the runway.

Glide Approach - was the better of the 3, the examiner will allow you choose when your allowed get the engine failure, so i closed the throttle, completed my checks and it went so smoothly.
It was one of those moments when the sun was setting behind us and we were slowly cruising down the runway with the nosewheel still in the air, It gave me a reason as to why i love doing what im doing and how its all worth while!

I forgot to mention that over the weekend i was with a new instructor called John Geary, John is studying in Embry Riddle, which is the national Aeronautical College, im not sure what he is studying, but he certainly knows his stuff. Its really good that i got to fly with 3 instructors, as i got used to someone new in the right seat with me. Hopefully this will ease the skills test. Im flying with Stephen Fisher on tuesday to complete my Form 170A, which really is the end of the course.

Talk soon,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment